Monday, August 20, 2012

My Rant Against The Bible



I woke up this morning with a burning desire in my gut to rant against the Bible. I didn’t have any reason whatsoever to carry on my rant, till a Facebook friend gave me a reason. He shared a picture about the Bible. This is a picture that has made its rounds on Facebook and whenever I see it, my fists clench involuntarily.

Here is the picture:


This picture reminded me of those days in the Roman Catholic high school I attended where kids used to sleep with Bibles under their pillows to chase away bad dreams. I don’t know how that works, but I am very sure that it didn’t work for me because I didn’t sleep with a Bible under my pillow and I never had any nightmares.

From the time it was compiled about 400 years ago, the Bible has risen to prominence to become the World’s undisputed Number 1 bestseller, translated into almost every language on earth. It has been used as a text book in schools and as a constitution in many civilisations. The Bible has been used to start wars and to end them. Countless numbers of people have died, trying to protect the sacred book.

My question today is, is it really worth it?

Reading the statements in the picture above makes me wonder, how did people survive without the Bible? I am persuaded to believe that either there is no devil, or these allegations are totally unfounded. If it was true, then the most unfortunate people on earth, the ones that would be haunted by the devil most, would be the illiterate.

Have you ever wondered how people existed before the Bible? If you are a Christian and have been well-bred in church, then you’ve most probably been deceived about the power the Bible yields. And if you’ve watched Christian Nigerian movies, then you’ve seen a pastor waving a Bible over demons and lightning shooting out of the big black book, causing the demons to disintegrate into a thousand pieces. All this feeds us with the lies that the Bible is a supernatural charm of sorts.

But hey! Let me burst your bubble! The Bible is not really that powerful a book! Guys in the early church managed to live without it, and they had a better Christian experience than what most Christians experience today.

So if you have any problem and you go to a pastor or counsellor and they tell you to read your Bible more often or longer, then that’s a lie.

Even Jesus spoke against the Bible. He said, “You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. (John 5:39, 40, NKJV)

Phew! My rant is done! And I said all of this so I could tell you one simple truth: The Bible is simply ink and paper—a piece of trash— without God breathing His life into it.

Read carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment