Friday, April 6, 2012

Christ's Song

I wrote these words a few years ago, and I thought today (Good Friday) would be the best day to share them with you. I imagined what Jesus would sing of whenever he remembered that fateful day. I think his song would go something like this:

They brought me into the courtyard
my feet barely touched the ground
tossed onto the cobbled floor
hard and cold
a heel in the jaw, a punch, a kick
pushed and tossed and thrown
in less than a moment i had become a ball
i knew i had to bear the pain
because i had chosen to love

giant nails driven into the hands
a spear wound, blood gushing out
a halo of thorns around my head
thorns grafted into my skin
pity, i couldn't find a better way to express my love for you
no blessing, power or wealth
could match my love for you
blood oozed out drop by cleansing drop
because i had chosen to love

chorus:
all the pain i endured on the cross
gave me joy when i knew you were saved
you're the object of my love
because i had chosen to love

up on a tree i hung
drained of all energy
stripped naked and ashamed
humiliated and distressed
the weight of the world on my shoulders
burdens, cares, curse, sin
tried hard to keep my calm
but oh, they weighed me down
at last i died victoriously
because i had chosen to love.

One thing i know, either my imagination ran wild, or this is an understatement. But one thing always stands out, Jesus loves you. That's why he died on the cross. Have you tasted that inexplicable love?

No comments:

Post a Comment